Everywhere I go, there are more women in tango than men. Why why why? Given it is the man who chooses, and the women in tango are so much more stunning than the man (sorry, joke, I can't help myself) you would thing it would be the other way around!
I think more women link to dance tango than men because:
1. For a lot of men it's non-masculine / non-macho to dance. AKA the stupidity of "real men don't dance" (of course this is completely wrong)
2. Women are better dancers (I know that's a gross generalisation, sorry boys! I am talking statistics here, not specific individuals)
3. Women learn it faster, whereas it takes a man twice as long to get reasonable
4. Women are more natural at rhythm
5. Often women learn dancing at a young age (ballet, tap etc)
6. Men are scared to look foolish on the dance floor (which unfortunately at the beginning stage, they do a bit)
Again, I want to state this is NOT applicable to all men! It only explains why there is a bias of women in tango over men.
The problem is that Argentine tango is very difficult for men, it is an active lead for every step, musicality and floor craft and management. Men get very frustrated because it takes a good 3 years to even become any decent.
It is difficult for men to learn initially and that's intimidating to most men. But once a man has a good dance he is usually hooked and puts in the effort to learn. At least in America the close embrace of tango is difficult for people at first. Especially as a leader because you are fumbling around embarassing yourself for months before you are able to do the basic walk.